Monday, January 17, 2011

I find many points in the article “Opening Up the Classroom Door: Writing for Publication,” particularly eye opening as well as motivating. I think I too, imagined professional development courses to be described as a ‘work-shop’ or teachers sitting in a classroom being lectured. However, the one aspect that stood out to me while observing my CT in action last semester, was how she completed every writing piece she assigned her students. She wrote along with them, taking them through and difficulties she faced, altering lessons, as well as being verbally reflective about it. It was something that proved to be quite effective, very much admirable. I think that this kind of approach enabled her not only to become a better teacher, but also to form a strong and respectable relationship with her students. I also thought that ‘opening your classroom door’ through publication creates a larger motivation to publish, as I have never thought of it in this way. Being vocal about your own writing and publication process will also goad them to try it themselves! In doing so, I believe that a student can truly become more engaged in his or her work when the scope of their audiences reaches for beyond just the teacher’s eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment