Wednesday, January 5, 2011
As I stated yesterday, although I find much of the information in these chapters helpful, the numerous charts broken down into the three stages actually confuses me further instead of adding clarity to the text. I did find the chapters on assessment and rubrics particularly helpful when planning activities that are effective and relative to the bigger goal, as opposed to losing site of your overall objectives by focusing on creating an activity that is "fun". I also feel strongly about creating accurate assessments separate from solely serving the purpose of generating a grade, and I think that UBD does a great job of helping one to think of assessment beyond the old fashioned definition. "We are obliged to consider the assessment evidence implied by the outcomes sought, rather than thinking about assessment primarily as a means for generating grades." I also really liked the "Self-Test of Assessment Ideas" on page 187! I personally find this aspect of planning difficult or so broad to pin down, that figure 8.5 seems like it could definitely help with creating activities and rubrics that fairly demonstrate the quality of a student's work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also find the numerous charts confusing. I have a difficult time relating them to one another, and understanding the explicit purpose of each. I wonder if I would find them more helpful if I were more of a visual learner. I like a lot about how Wiggins and McTighe explain the concepts they present, but struggle to understand the organizers. Perhaps this relates to yesterday's discussion of curriculum maps, and the idea that different things work for different teachers. I found myself drawn to the simple layout of the "old school" book organizer, as I have a hard time relating to more elaborate visual materials.
ReplyDeleteTheir expanding categories, hierarchies, and charts do seem counterproductive to the book's goals in that they don't necessarily help us to achieve a coherent, elegant curricular vision. But the authors are trying, I think, to provide educators with a number of tools from which to choose--just select those you find most helpful. Anyone trying to integrate all of these examples, details, charts would find it challenging indeed!
ReplyDelete